Thursday, May 24, 2012

Our Beginning

Last night after Benjamin got home from a long day at work and I finished my visit to my new young woman. We set out to Target to get some more milk (we bought 3 gallons...seriously who even drinks that much milk?) Anyway, after we left we decided to go for a drive in the mountains. Mainly because our new truck hasn't been in the mountains yet and we needed to break it in. So we drove to one of our favorite look-out spots where you can see a huge chunk of the valley. It is beautiful at night, especially as the sun is setting. The spot we were at was where Benjamin tried to kiss me for the first time. I chickened out. Needless to say that place has some funny memories. Af ter that drive I got to thinking how blessed I am to be married to him for eternity. That is what prompted me to share how we met!

I tried typing this into the 'Introduction' section but apparently it's too many words. If that doesn't tell you something out us I'm not sure what will. Anyway, I wanted to share are beginning so here goes nothing.

Benjamin and I met about 5 years ago after I moved back here from Maryland/Virginia. He had moved here a couple years prior from South Carolina (yes he has an accent and I LOVE it). We met at a church activity. I noticed he was new and decided to strike up a conversation with him. So I said what any girl would say, "Hi, I like your jacket." The response was not exactly what I expected, "Thanks." he said then walked away. He is lucky I didn't throw in the towel right then. :)
As time passed I continued to make conversation or try to make conversation with him. He says he was intimidated by me then. What a fib! Anyway, at a much later church activity our Bishop officially introduced us, gave us tickets to attend General Conference together, and signed us up for mission prep class. Boy, did he have that planned out.
After that we were inseperable. We would spend hours after mission prep talking, have dinner dates and walks at his favorite parks. I even helped him move into his new place, folded his laundry, and went grocery shopping with him.
I know all that doesn't seem like a big deal but he wouldn't even hold my hand or sit remotely close to me during any movie. He had good reasoning though, I was preparing to go serve the Lord in Texas.
As time passed we got closer and closer but I never really knew how he felt about me. I just knew that I wanted him in my life. Ironicially he was the last person I saw and hugged (besides my family) before being set apart as a missionary. For a year and a half we exchanged letters. He was my most faithful writer besides my family and best friend Ashley.
As time approached for me to come home I didn't know what would happen. Afterall, he never really expressed his true feelings. Except during my last 6 weeks his letters were way more consistent and signed 'Love, Benji'. I'll admit I kind of freaked out at the first mention of love. During phone calls home I had an idea of how he felt because my sister would tell me to date him when I got home. It didn't take long for that after I got home. He swept me off my feet in a matter of minutes. Come to find out he and my sister had been planning this the entire time I was gone. So I guess in a sense I have an arranged marriage. :) He did everything for me when I got home except give me the space I asked for. He didn't want to lose me he says.  And he didn't, we were married 4 months later! I coudln't be happier. It is obvious that the Lord had a plan. The day we were sealed in the Bountiful Temple was one of the most amazing days of my life. I will never forget how right it felt to kneel across that alter and say yes to forever to the man on my dreams. I am a lucky girl! Now we have a beautiful son and our family is just beginning!

Our new now broken in truck!


Cohen loving the drive!

No comments:

Post a Comment